Areas of Practice
Commercial Real estate
When we are engaged as counsel on a commercial real estate project, our first step is to understand the client’s goals and desires for the project. We work with the client’s internal and external team to understand our role and efficiently and effectively outline a process for successful project completion.
Our experience includes:
- Acquisition & disposition of commercial property
- Tax credit financing, including new market tax credits and Low Income Housing Tax Credits (LIHTC)
- Leasing (office, industrial, retail)
- Real estate finance
- Public-private partnerships (PPP)
- Development Agreements
- Economic development incentives
- Land contracts and ground lease agreements
- Structuring Special Purpose Entities
- Construction contracts
Structuring a development project includes a multitude of financing tools, including traditional financing, private equity investments and structured finance. We offer project finance oversight, focusing on strategic and creative financing. Linchpin offers our clients a holistic approach, garnering them the best competitive advantage.
Linchpin Legal can assist project developers and finance partners in the following:
- Michigan's grant programs (CRP and MBDP)
- Job and investment-based tax credits
- Local property tax abatements
- Brownfield Tax Increment Finance
Commercial Contracts & “Outside In-House Counsel” Services
Linchpin Legal PLLC represents businesses from startups to established companies. For many organizations, hiring full-time in-house counsel is neither necessary nor cost-effective. We provide “outside in-house counsel” services to these companies.
All businesses need sound legal advice regarding organizational, governance and compliance matters. Likewise, all entities benefit from review and negotiation of commercial contracts arising in the course of their business activity.
Linchpin Legal has drafted and negotiated a wide variety of commercial contracts, including:
- Operating Agreements and Bylaws
- Project Management Agreements
- Severance Agreements
- Asset Purchase Agreements
- Property Management Agreements
- Employee Leasing Agreements
tax credit financing
For many of our clients, gap financing through grant programs, tax abatements and tax credit financing is a necessary addition to conventional funding. Structuring a development project that includes multiple layers of financing that may include bank loans, tax credits, tax exempt or taxable bonds, tax-increment financing, and CDBG or other federal or state grant programs requires planning and creativity to ensure all of the financing programs work together.
We have closed over $100 million in tax credit transactions and have extensive experience with a variety of creative financing programs, including:
- New Markets Tax Credits (NMTC)
- Federal Historic Tax Credits (HTC)
- Low Income Housing Tax Credits (LIHTC)
tax exempt organizations
Tax exempt organizations have many of the same legal issues as taxable organizations, but in addition they must comply with state charitable organization and federal tax law.
Linchpin Legal can assist tax exempt organizations with:
- Establishing Michigan nonprofit corporations
- Preparing IRS applications for exemption for 501(c)(3) and other 501(c) organizations (Form 1023 and Form 1024, respectively)
- Advising on compliance matters, such as lobbying and UBIT
- Developing and drafting bylaws and internal policies
- Reviewing and updating existing corporate documents
- Advising regarding state charitable registration requirements in Michigan
- Conducting seminars for boards to educate on governance and compliance issues
Developing software and technology are so pervasive but behind the curtain are fluctuating challenges in protection and monetization; challenges that our firm stays two steps ahead of. We’ve helped startups, and entrepreneurs develop, license, sell, and maintain ownership over their creations. We’ve also negotiated purchasing and partnership agreements for larger investment companies looking for their unicorn. Our firm will guide you to our well respected strategic partners who can handle the search, application, and filing process of trademarks and copyrights. And if your idea has been infringed upon, our firm can refer you to our colleagues litigation team to facilitate the best possible licensing and settlement agreements.
Linchpin Legal can assist with the following for your software development needs:
- Work for Hire
- Service Level Agreements
- End User License Agreements (EULA)
- Non-Exclusive Software License Agreements (NESLA)
- Software As a Solution Agreement (SaaS)